Monday, October 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Mario Puzo !

Mario Gianluigi Puzo
Today is the birthday of an Italian American author and screenwriter Mario Gianluigi Puzo (October 15, 1920 – July 2, 1999), known for his novels about the Mafia, including The Godfather (1969), which he later co-adapted into a film by Francis Ford Coppola. He won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay in both 1972 and 1974. Presenting some Quotations : Being Poet
  • Every family has bad memories.
  • Friendship and money : oil and water.
  • Even the strongest man needs friends.
  • I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
  • I believe in America. America's made my fortune.
  • Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.
  • Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!
  • Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger.
  • I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more.
  • I don't like violence, Tom. I'm a businessman. Blood is a big expense.
  • A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns.
  • The only wealth in this world is children, more than all the money, power on earth.
  • Certainly he can present a bill for such services. After all, we are not communists.
  • Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances, as if we were lawyers.
  • I have always believed helping your fellow man is profitable in every sense, personally and bottom line.
  • It doesn't make any difference to me what a man does for a living, you understand. But your business is a little dangerous.
  • Give this to Clemenza. I want reliable people, people who won't get carried away. I mean, we're not murderers, in spite of what this undertaker says.
  • Now, listen. I want somebody good, and I mean very good, to plant that gun. I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand.
  • What we think of as our sensitivity is only the higher evolution of terror in a poor dumb beast. We suffer for nothing. Our own death wish is our only real tragedy.
  • Like many businessmen of genius he learned that free competition was wasteful, monopoly efficient. And so he simply set about achieving that efficient monopoly.
  • Like many businessmen of genius he learned that free competition was wasteful, monopoly efficient. And so he simply set about achieving that efficient monopoly.
  • He was ... a degenerate gambler. That is, a man who gambled simply to gamble and must lose. As a hero who goes to war must die. Show me a gambler and I'll show you a loser, show me a hero and I'll show you a corpse.