Thursday, July 26, 2012

Happy Birthday George Bernard Shaw !

George Bernard Shaw 
Today is the birthday of an Irish playwright and a co-founder of the London School of Economics George Bernard Shaw (26 July 1856 – 2 November 1950). Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, in which capacity he wrote many highly articulate pieces of journalism, his main talent was for drama, and he wrote more than 60 plays. Nearly all his writings address prevailing social problems, but have a vein of comedy which makes their stark themes more palatable. Shaw examined education, marriage, religion, government, health care, and class privilege. He is the only person to have been awarded both a Nobel Prize in Literature (1925) and an Oscar (1938), for his contributions to literature and for his work on the film Pygmalion (adaptation of his play of the same name), respectively. Presenting some poems : Being Poet

A Dream

My spirits soar on high, 
Inebriated with thoughts so pure.
I now can fly, 
Nothing is obscure.
Spiritual healing is taking place, 
As I rise to heavens realms.
Beams of joy cover my face, 
Nothing can me overwhelm.
I have seen the heavens gates, 
Beautiful light paves the way, 
Music sweet to soul and ear, 
I have nothing more to say. 

A New Start

I have wiped the slate clean, 
No more reminders from the past.
Memories of what I have been, 
Have vanished at long last.
I look forward to my future new, 
Where all is territory strange.
Soon I will be among the few, 
That plans their life at long range.
I see my life laid out at my feet, 
New friends shall rally at my call.
They will be the first I will greet, 
At this my welcoming ball.
Soon all memories will depart, 
Of a past left well behind.
I will get off to a new start, 
With the best of mankind. 

Baby Eyes

Large Baby eyes smiling joyfully at me, 
Baby eyes as brown as can be.
Two deep pools most innocent and bright, 
To me are symbols of sheer delight.
May I greet you every single day? 
For you are sunshine on my way.
Other people see you smile so sweet, 
All are happier when you they meet.
Eyes are the windows to the soul, 
No difficulties for you reaching your goal.
So sweet baby go on life's way, 
Those Baby eyes have much to say. 

Broken Spirit

Only with you by my side, 
Can I take all in my stride.
You give me a silent strength, 
each pace a gathering length.
I know that I will reach my goal, 
for you help me play my role.
Your guidance carries me along, 
in my heart a wondering song.
What strange whim sent you my way, 
I do not know, I cannot say.
I just thank Heaven that you are here, 
Keeping me going with thoughts so clear.
Stay with me to the very end, 
For you my broken spirit did mend. 
A Cross At The Front
With a cross at the front they march along,
Are you ready to join this happy throng?
Their only weapons the Bible and a book of prayer.
Which all are happy with you to share.
Their rallying call, ”Praise be to the Lord.”
None are conscripted they come of their own accord.
Happy faces filled with spiritual grace,
Be honest could you stand the pace?
No rewards or riches on this our earth,
Just the sure knowledge of a heavenly rebirth.
Bringing peace and goodwill to one and all,
Open your ears hear their rallying call.
Join this happy marching throng,
Then you too will know where you belong.
A state of happiness and peace will prevail,
When you the name of Jesus do hail. 

A Name

Shakespeare once wrote what is in a name, 
Was he I wonder thinking of everlasting fame? 
A man of words, beautiful to the ear, 
His, an eloquence for all to hear.
Tales of Kings and royal Queens, 
Even of commoners and bawdy scenes.
A man blessed with the gift and might of the pen, 
His stories are filled with deeds of daring men.
Tales of love, Intrigue and yes death.
Leave us gasping or holding our breath.
He wrote of the beauty of a single rose.
That smelled so sweet when held to the nose.
He wrote about the rich and the poor, 
None of his works was ever a bore.
So now I ask what is in a name, 
Certainly for Shakespeare it brought great fame. 

A Poem A Day

I try to write one poem each day, 
I never know what I will say.
Be it love for natures blossoms, 
Perhaps, a tale about some possums.
Will it touch a chord in your heart? 
Encourage you to make a new start! 
It may be sad it may be funny
But I will not sell it not for money.
I might write about the Zoo, 
Or even something not quite true.
Fantasy is with me a big plus, 
No big deal to make a fuss.
My poem may even make you smile, 
Then my writing it will have been worthwhile.
It could be a poem that is quite sad.
Would that be so really bad? 
Yes I try to write a poem every day, 
Hoping it will help you on your way. 

Child Play

I see the children as they play, 
The games I know so well.
I watch with delight every day, 
As I listen to voices sweet as a bell.
The cheerful cries fill me with joy, 
Smiling faces tell all is good.
My heart goes out to every girl and boy, 
And I would play with them if I could.
From my armchair I watch in leisure, 
Happy faces out side my window frames, 
Yes I am content to see such pleasure
And wish that I could join in their games.
The children take me back to the old days, 
When I was young and filled with esprit.
Now I can only sit here and gaze, 
Thanking Heaven that I can still hear and see.